Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Doodling Away the Day

When I was a child I would doodle on everything.  Instead of taking notes when my teachers lectured, I doodled on my paper.  Every scrap of paper had my marks and doodles on them.  Somewhere along the path to adulthood, I stopped doodling. 

Today, I attempted my first doodle in about 20 years.  Naturally, the first difficulty was finding the correct materials here in Puerto Rico.  But, in a pinch, I found things that would work (I have come to love Walmart). 

When I first sat down to the task of doodling, I felt an overwhelming sense of insecurity.  Where do I start, what do I doodle, what colors should I use, how do I plan this?  All of those thoughts raced through my head.  Then, with paint brush clenched in my white knuckled fist, I did my first tentative squiggle....and then another and another.  About half way through the process, I was painting with free abandon.  It was so liberating - no planning, no tinkering, just putting down the paint in beautiful doodles.


I think doodling helps to open your mind to the creative process....it makes my inner artist happy and free and when that happens beautiful art happens!  My advice to you, is to doodle away - look out world, most likely all my papers will have the tell-tale doodle that Tammy has been here.  Happy Doodling everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous doodle! I love doodling! I found a study that said doodlers retain more than non-doodlers- so I doodled right on through high school...college...and grad school!

    I'm starting up the Draw! Sketch! Doodle! Blog again. This time with a flickr group. I'd love to make you admin on it so you can help me post prompts and keep up iwth it! Are you interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely Katie - My comment this year to my Artistic self is to be creative everyday - this is a great way to get the ball rolling.....let me know how you want to do this......

    Keep on Doodling and creating
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete