Sunday, January 1, 2012

`New Beginnings

A new beginning it truly is . . . . It was great to start off the year in church, giving Thanks for all the accomplishments and achievements of 2011, and praying for guidance, direction and focus in 2012. 

In honor of the fresh start, I spent the day cleaning, sorting and putting things away.  Here in Puerto Rico, the holidays don't end with the New Year.  We also celebrate 3 Kings Day which is this Friday.   Actually, 3 Kings is even bigger here than Christmas.  However, I am tired of looking at the Christmas tree, so a great part of the afternoon was spent taking the Christmas decorations down and putting them back into storage (a challenge living in a small apartment.) 

On the creative side of things, I kept my promise to do something creative each day, and enrolled in a one line art journaling class.  Today was the first day of the class, and I spent time watching the instructional video.  I am excited to dedicate some time to my art journal.  However, here in Puerto Rico getting art supplies is not the easiest thing.  Many of the supplies shown on the video are going to be more than difficult for me to get, unless of course I pay for shipping.  I think I will make do with the supplies I have on hand.  Regardless of the supplies, I am excited about this on line opportunity. 

For the last two years I have been a member of AAPR (Association de Accurealistas de Puerto Rico) - the watercolor society of Puerto Rico.  Apparently, before my time, the group had been very active, but, as members grew older and moved off the island, things slowed down quite a bit.  Fortunately, with some energy and effort, I think the group is becoming more active and creatively busy again.  In order to keep people painting, it was decided that every month we would give the members a challenge.  

In honor of January 2012, the theme for our challenge was "New Beginnings".  I wracked my brain to come up with something that for me truly represents a new beginning.  A sunrise, a cup of coffee at the beginning of the day, a flower bud, a crocus pushing up through the snow . . . . each idea was tossed aside.  Finally, I settled on a baby.  This was a real challenge for me as I 100% do not paint people, much less a portrait.  But, new beginnings, means new challenges.  It was rough starting, but finally, I think I have completed the challenge. 


In honor of the new year, my painting - "New Beginnings" 

Happy 2012 - have a wonderfully creative year. 

1 comment: